Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 09:57 PM

sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold

sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
Watched the install video and it scares the bejesus out of me re: rust.

My concerns:

1) In the attached screenshot, where the OEM mount sits, when it was originally installed, it pushes the sealant that was protecting bare metal. When you remove the OEM rack, it exposes this bare metal (circled in red). So, you have to find a way to protect that bare metal again -that's what I treated with etch primer, paint, and clear (I cleaned the area up first).

2) As mentioned, silicone isn't the best product and needs to be touched up every 2-3 years. Whatever you can get off comes off easy, but whatever is leftover is a PITA to remove.

2) The washers that he uses on top of the spacers aren't sealed so water (even little drips) can get between the waters.

3) The instruction video doesn't tell you to use blue loctite to seal the threads -you really should.

4) The way the mounts sit on top of the washers (that are sitting on top of the spacers), there's no sealant between the washers and the mount. It's just metal on metal. So water will trickle down the mount, collect around the washers, and find their way in around the bolt/mount holes, and pool into the spacers. Those aluminum spacers will now act as a cup with no way for water to escape. So, I hope you added enough silicone or whatever product into the spacer cavity to completely seal it off from moisture (pushing the bolt in through the washers and bolting it up won't make it water-tight).

5) To bolt the mount down, they have a rubber washer and then a round-head nut. I'd personally would have liked to see a metal washer between the nut head and rubber washer.

6) Rubber washers deteriorate and dry out really fast so make really bad gaskets (according to mynameistory, use silicone washers)

7) When you bolt down the first mount on top of the washers and spacers, that will squeeze every bit of silicone out from underneath the spacers. Then you have hard aluminum sitting on top of your paint -that's what rook the paint off of my mount points. The only way to avoid this is by not fastening the bolt down very hard and/or by not putting very much weight on your rack.

I could go on for a few more points, but those are the weak points I see off the top of my head. I'm not shitting on your rack -just hope you can see the weak points and fix them before they get bad.

The motivation behind my fear or rust all spawned from when I restored a 1995 4runner. Rusted panels and rocker panels were cut out, welded back in, paint, etc.. So, rust was a large part of my life for those 3 years lol

This thread re-hashed all of my fears lol

Destroyed Factory Roof Mounting Locations
Yep that video is actually my rig Paul installed it on. Previously to the K9 rack I had a Prinsu rack. I lived in Utah at the time and while it doesn't rain much there it sure snows a lot. I never had any problems with water penetration with snow. Then it rained really hard one day and I felt water running down my seat belt. I called Paul and he recommended adding more silicone to the bolt holes.

I then moved to Alabama where when it rains it pours and it rains pretty much all the time year round. Honestly it scared the shit out of me every time it rained but it never leaked again. I still never trusted it and since sold the rack and went back to the OEM rack. Also cleaned up around the mounting holes a bit so that there wasn't so much old residue there.

I'm still looking for a new rack but yeah adding globs of silicone doesn't do it for me. Probably will get the Sherpa rack or maybe get that mounting foot you posted. Hopefully RA can sell the foot pads separately.
2016 Nautical Blue Metallic Trail | SCS | Falken Wildpeak AT3/W | Icon CDCV | Heftyfab Front Bumper | 4x4 Labs Rear | Shrockworks Sliders | RCI Skids | Warn VR10S | OGE Dual Battery System | sPOD | Katzkin
2013 Blizzard Pearl LE 4WD - SOLD!!!
sn_85 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote