Site Navigation

Thread: DRL mod
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 12:22 AM

Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about

Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsNick View Post
So getting back to you because I am just about to attempt this as well. Though my vehicle has drls now, I also added all LEDS am going to be converting my 12 pin relay into the 8 pin flasher relay (which will kill my DRL's). And since I have some sweet halos, I definitely still want the drl functionality. Now I am still in the mapping phase but I will give you the gist of what I am thinking. And FYI, I do plan on doing a write up on this.

I might do a dpdt relay or a pair of spst relays to create the effect of having the drls on without the low/ highs and shutting off when they come on. With the pair, the first relay would be triggered and send power through a fuse to the drls and would also run through the second relay. In the second relay the default would be closed and the headlight circuit trigger would open the circuit which would then shut off the drl.

So basically (I believe this is correct but still need to verify)

1st relay - DRL's
pin #87 - fused power wire from a switch source.

Pin #30 - to the DRL's

PIn #86 - power from a switched source

Pin #85 - wired directly to pin #87A on the second Relay

2nd relay
pin #87A - direct wire from pin 85 from first relay

pin# 30 - wired to ground

pin #85 - wired to ground

pin #86 - wired to the positive wire on the headlight circuit. you actually need to consider running a wire from the highs and lows to that relay. you will need to diode isolate each one also. prevents back feeding of power between wires.

Leave pin #87 unattached/capped off

the second relay when activated, controls the ground side of the first relay by disconnecting the ground.

Since I have switchbacks, I may also tie this into my factory harness for turn signals. I think with all of this, I should be able to get the desired effect.

I think this should be pretty strait forward. Here is a basic video I found that really make sense of a simple circuit for an added drl: YouTube
I'll be rolling this into my build as well. I have a few honey do list items in my way but I'm hoping to finally finish up the Quads before July 4th.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Kryptoroxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote