View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of
y=mx+b's Build Thread

Introduction
This is a "build" thread for my 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5 v6. Its not really a "build" right now, but I figure before I get too deep into the maintenance and mods, I should start some documentation to record my progress and help some others out. I am a regular dude without any fancy tools (yet) that hopefully can inspire you to do some basic maintenance and eventually off road mods. Getting into home maintenance was daunting for me, so I want to make everything feel as approachable as possible. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions!

Outside of 4running, I am a Mechanical Engineering Student. I really enjoy learning with my hands, and there is a lot to learn from the engineers that designed the 4runner. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the school work, but making connections to my hobbies keeps me engaged and more excited to learn more. After graduating, I’m hoping to earn a hands-on engineering job that makes me excited to go to work every day!

How it Currently Looks
Installed some Kenda Klever 35x10.5s!

Older Pics
Just added some Dobinsons Suspension!

Some older pics at stock height:

Pretty much all stock at the moment. Currently have some Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws Mounted on FJ Cruiser/Early 5th gen Trail Wheels. See this post here: New Wheels and Tires!

Background
I had recently gotten my driver's license and was wanting to purchase my own vehicle. I had been saving a lot from my job at the Home Depot and custom woodworking on the side, so I was ready. I really wanted a pickup truck to be able to haul woodworking materials, so that's where I began looking. My initial vehicle of choice was an extended cab Ford Ranger. Mom was not on board with this, because a dinky little RWD pickup truck did not seem safe by her standards. Mom’s have the best intentions for their children, listen to them! My family has owned 2 Siennas with good luck and reliability, a 2000 and 2005, so I started looking into Toyotas. Unfortunately, that meant my wallet had to stretch even further. As everyone knows, Tacoma’s are way overpriced so I never even looked too hard. Tundras on the other hand, are a lot cheaper than Tacomas and have more space. I looked at a few, but all of the ones in my area still had the truck tax.

Eventually, I came to the 4runner as a compromise between the carrying capacity of a pickup, and the affordability of an mid-size SUV. The roll down window allowed me to carry 8-10’ foot lumber and I could get plywood cut to fit with the tailgate closed. For anything bigger, I could use the Sienna. After carefully searching and test driving a few, I a relatively clean 2005 Dorado Gold Pearl SR5 v6 4wd with 185k miles. It’s 4wd high, low, and center diff worked, the dash wasn’t cracked, and the dealer was going to replace the front CVs, front wheel bearings, restore headlights, and some other things that I knew were going to be expensive.

Making the Purchase!

The Penn State sticker and rust on the hitch should have been a red flag, but I didn't understand as much about vehicles then, as I do now. I'll elaborate on these items later.

It felt really good to have paid for my own first vehicle, even if it wasn’t the nicest or newest car in the high school parking lot. Overall, it was in great condition for an 11 year old vehicle. I have daily driven it ever since purchase, but only recently became interested in wrenching on it. A few bigger maintenance items, like an alternator and seized calipers, made me realize how much I can save by doing the work myself. This thread will aim to document all the maintenance and modifications I do to this vehicle.

Mod, Maintenance, and Project Directory (Links Jump in Thread)
  • 230k+ Miles- This one has taken 16 years, and I'm still not done yet!
Wheels, Tires, SuspensionDrivetain: Engine, Transmission, Axles, 4wd ComponentsOil Change DataBody/FrameLighting and ElectricalInterior and Creature ComfortsSteeringBrakesMetal Protecty ThingysAccessoriesOff-Roading
Laundry List (No Particular Order)
  • Regear to 4.88 and add Lockers
  • Continue Rust Mitigation
  • Rebuild Front Skid Mount
  • Rear Diff Breather Relocation
  • Marlin Crawler Cam Tab Gussets
  • Semi-Permanently mount my Smittybilt 2781
  • Repaint Hood?
  • Custom Dirt Bike Hitch Carrier Lift?
  • Coastal Offroad Front Bumper or something custom?
  • NWTI Rear Bumper or something custom?

My Thread Plans
I am currently doing a bunch of maintenance items, so eventually there will be some juicy off road articulating, wheel well trimming, tire rubbing, body mount chopping, bumper fabbing goodness. I think I’m going to have this setup where I put some nice pictures and explanations in the build thread and do individual threads for really any in-depth writeups. This will be easier for people to find write-ups / tutorials, and everyone else can get the highlights right here. I already have a thread for the door lock actuator and bushing install, so these will be my experiment.

Last edited by y=mx+b; 06-04-2022 at 05:43 PM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote