View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 12:05 PM

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of
The Build Thread was initiated after I completed the Bushings, so after this point is current with the date of posting

LCA Rebuild with Whiteline LCA Bushings | Return to Directory
Full LCA Bushing Install and Rebuild Tutorial: Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushing Tutorial (120+ Pictures)
I already have a full detailed tutorial on this, but wanted it to be documented in the build thread as well. The process is broken down into 10 steps, and there is a good directory system to move between steps, I am pretty proud of that feature. If you follow that tutorial, please post a few pictures in a reply, I want to see your progress and final outcome! It was in the 4th gen section for a few days, but has been moved to a Sticky in Maintenance/Detailing! Let me know if you need any help with the Whitelines, I would be happy to help. Here is an abridged version with all the best gory pictures! Each step in the build thread will have a link to to the tutorial thread for more information.

Before and After

Parts | View in Full Tutorial
Step 1: Jack up the Vehicle | View in Full Tutorial
Since we're replacing a suspension component, the front needs to be off the ground. I jacked from behind the just body mount, and placed my jack stands there. More pictures in the actual tutorial, trying to stay under the 20 pic limit.

Step 2: Loosening Bolts | View in Full Tutorial
There are 6 fasteners that need attention for this job. 2 are the alignment cams, 1 holds the ball joint to an intermediate plate, 2 hold that plate to the knuckle, and one connects the shock to the LCA. I suggest dousing them in a penetrating fluid a few days ahead of time. Once they've soaked, remove as many as you can. The alignment cams will likely be seized, but that's okay, we're going to cut them out. More pictures in the actual tutorial, trying to stay under the 20 pic limit.

Step 3: Cut Out Old Cam Bolts and Remove LCA | View in Full Tutorial
Its definitely scary to cut out a piece of your vehicle, but its pretty much the only way to get these out. I cut between the bushing and frame mounting tabs. Having the LCA disconnected from the knuckle will allow you to rotate it down for easier access to cut the bolts. Make sure that you buy the Carbide Diablo blades for the sawzall, nothing else is worth it. I used 5 crappy blades just to get one end off, but 2 carbide blades took care of every other cam on both sides. Also make sure to lube up the blade to keep the heat down and extend the life of the blade.

Step 4: Remove Ball Joint | View in Full Tutorial
I rented the 23 piece kit from Advanced Auto, I hear this is the only kit that works properly. Mine was super crusty, but I got it out with just a breaker bar and some heat. I had the LCA vertical so I could use my weight to turn the breaker bar. I got to the point where I couldn't turn anymore, and the ball joint wasn't coming out. I hit with a hammer in the pictured location, and it came out.

Step 5: Press Out Old Bushings | View in Full Tutorial
I used the jack method to press out my bushings, the process is covered with details in the tutorial. Essentially, you use the stock jack to apply pressure to the bushing and heat the LCA around the bushing to release it. Slowly increasing heat and pressure, the bushing will make its way out.

Step 6: Remove Old Bushing Outer Shell | View in Full Tutorial
This is the most challenging part of the process, but it wasn't terrible. I came up with a 5 step process that I believe is the best way to remove these. More details are covered in the tutorial, and I recommend you visit that page for proper instructions. The key to this step is a needle scaler, making some cuts in the bushing shells, and a good phosphoric acid bath!

Step 7: Clean LCA, Remove Rust, and Paint | View in Full Tutorial
I wanted my LCAs to be stripped of all rust and repainted before reinstall. As mentioned before, the LCAs came out so I could strip the frame better. I used the acid again to remove the surface rust, scuffed the surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper, painted with POR15, and finally covered everything in black paint.

Step 8: Install the Whiteline Bushings | View in Full Tutorial
Again, I would refer to the actual tutorial for proper instruction. To help with installation, I froze the bushing and used some grease on the outside of the new shells. In the tutorial, I installed 1 bushing with the jack, and the other with the ball joint press. To get the ball joint press around everything, the bushing needs to be set into the LCA tube about 1/2-3/4" using a jack.

Step 9: Press in New Ball Joint | View in Full Tutorial
I used the ball joint press to do its job. It is important to find an installation tube that fits around the boot, but also on top of the ball joint flange. A little grease on the body helps with insertion and will prevent corrosion.

Step 10: Reinstall LCA | View in Full Tutorial
When reinstalling, use the included grease on the bushing tubes. The suspension will rotate around these, so it is important they are both clean and lubricated. Since the cams are prone to seizing, I covered them in grease and put anti-seize on the threads. Installing the LCAs back in, I first put the cams in and rotated the ball joint end up to the knuckle. There is some fiddling required to get the intermediate plate bolts to line up, but its not terrible.

Next Steps: CV Rebuild
I'm still looking for more CVs to rebuild as spares, but I managed to pick up one almost new OEM CV for $32 at a local junkyard this week. It was an absolute steal, so I'm really excited to get this project underway. Bought a reboot kit for the old one, before realizing it was too far gone to just reboot. Now the rebuild kit is going on this one and I’ll also rebuild the old CV with tripod wear as a spare. It’s also a Toyota CV, so worth saving. If anyone knows where to get a tripod end without spending an arm and a leg, I'm all ears. There's a Febest kit here, but I've heard their quality is crap. If there's nothing out there, I'll just pack it with grease and call it good, since it's a spare.
I am planning on making a writeup for the rebuild as well, similar to my past write ups with the door lock actuator and the Whiteline Bushings.

Last edited by y=mx+b; 10-05-2020 at 05:19 PM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote