View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 07:15 AM

pinemind will become famous soon enough

pinemind will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dude View Post
Given your list of new and tested parts, my gut tells me it’s nothing under your hood. Im not familiar with all the vacuum and egr stuff since I pulled all of that out of my runner years ago when I had it. You may want to do some research regarding that in case there’s some correlation between the egr system and cold starting. Aside from that, maybe hang test (plug in another ecu and try without installing it) another ecu, yours may have an issue causing this. It definitely doesn’t sound like a sensor or mechanical issue under the hood since it catches itself and starts every time.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not certain that EGR plays a role, but I have a new OEM EGR valve as well. The cooler plate was cleaned before I reassembled the engine.

You bring up a good point with the ECU. It's probably not a terrible idea to source a known working spare. But you bring up another idea, though it may just end up confirming my diagnostic tests. I never did any testing at the ECU end per the FSM on the related circuits. I'll put that on the list as well.

My last item is the TPS. While mine checks out, my idle is still not as smooth as I would hope given all the new components, OEM motor/transmission mounts included (gear shifter has random larger vibrations). It's the original TPS from 1985 and I have a new OEM one sitting in my parts bin. I figured since the original one passed the tests, it was ok. But I'd like to swap in the new one this weekend and see what happens there.

I just finished my first 500 miles of engine break-in, so I'll be swapping out the break-in oil and checking the valve adjustment. So that's first on the list to get done.
pinemind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote