Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 03:11 PM

ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice

ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice ryguytheman is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
On that note, it seems you actually get yours out on the trails so I’m curious given the capabilities of the 4Runner how many times you’ve found yourself in situations that required you to pull cable. Either to continue onward through something you wouldn’t have made it through without or in a recovery capacity where you would have been FUBAR without it.

I’d like a winch/lo-pro for peace of mind. I’m curious if it would truly be my security blanky/show piece or if you actually find yourself using it.

I’ve pushed mine through some seriously deep mud/muck but thankfully with the rear locker and A-Trac/MTS I’ve never needed to be recovered.
I have needed to use my winch several times. It's not unlikely that just having one has pushed me to try things that I shouldn't. But it was worth every penny based on the amount of times I have had to use it, and where. I can't even imagine the amount of time and money it has saved me. Where I wheel, it could be a while before anyone comes across you in your stuck vehicle, especially in the winter.

There was a day back in January where I needed to winch myself out of a tight spot at least 4 or 5 times in that one outing. I didn't even bother respooling it, just wrapped the line around the bullbar for ease of access. Deep snow, tough trail, and overconfidence...

But yeah, like you alluded to, it's also good to have if you just need a little extra boost to make it through/over something, whether it be be a big rock or a 4 foot snow drift. It's a last resort, but keeps me moving if I want to use it.

Overall, I try to make tow straps work (if I have a buddy with me) before thinking about the winch, but that can't always be done.

I'm about to buy an extra line to carry with me in case of a failure.

Build Thread
2015 SR5 Premium | SSO Slimline Bumper | 20" Heise LED Lightbar | 10K LB Smittybilt Winch | 285/70/17 | Shrockworks Sliders with Tread Plate | Toytec BOSS Aluma Series coilovers with 700 lb Coils | HD Superflex Rear Coils | SPC Upper Control Arms | Differential Drop | ARB Twin Compressor | CBI Ditch Light Brackets with Cheapo Amazon LED Cubes | UpTop Bravo Rack | RCI Skids
ryguytheman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote