Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 11:02 AM

thejuice is on a distinguished road

thejuice is on a distinguished road
Advice Needed - Rust, considering ditching 4R

Help, I need advice!

I have a 2012 Limited with about 130k in the Boston area. I maintained it religiously hoping to take it well into 200k territory, but I never thought to coat the underside. In just the last 2 years I had the following rust related issues:
  • 3 frozen calipers.. one destroyed my rim (cosmetically) when the piston froze stuck out during a long road trip, wore the pad down and caused metal/metal debris to land on the rim giving me a nice molten-sand blast finish
  • Every heat shield rusted through and was replaced or fixed with washers
  • Most of the heat shield posts are rust icicles and needed replacing
  • Rusted through skid plate & splash shield
  • Transmission switch (range sensor switch) froze/rusted, rusted solid to transmission

I can see that I still have many more rust-related projects ahead of me, but the frame rust concerns me.

Many of the welds are flaking and I don't have a good feel for what's safe. Is it time for me to trade it in?

Between parts and my time (which is free I guess) the repair costs have been adding up lately. I know I have a pricey xreas repair ahead, and likely an AC repair. I got a quote for $14k to trade it in, is it time to part ways? Or are my rust concerns stupid, and it'll drive to 300k+ like all the 3rd/4th gens have?

Thanks in advanced!
Attached Images
Advice Needed - Rust, considering ditching 4R-img_6212_2-jpg 
thejuice is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote