Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 02:14 PM

Stereww is on a distinguished road

Stereww is on a distinguished road
P0770, Shift Solenoid E

Just did a transmission swap on my 1997 4Runner. The "new" transmission only has 50,000 miles or so. It was out of a 1996 Land Cruiser Prado. I am now getting a check engine light: P0770, Shift Solenoid E. I don't think I feel any symptoms. It shifts super smooth, up and down. No slipping or grinding noises. Feels brand new to me. It goes right into gear in less than a second just like it's supposed to. It might be lurching just a little bit when it's put into gear, but it isn't uncomfortable. You can't really feel it, you just hear the brakes resist movement for just a fraction of a second. I feel like I might be looking for a problem.

If I clear the code, it comes back on after the 3rd or 4th start. I can clear it, start it and drive for an unlimited number of miles it seems with the light not coming back on. After the 3rd or 4th trip though it will come back on within a couple of minutes of starting.

I have read some forums and everyone suggests fluid changes and the like, obviously it has brand new fluid, the swap was just completed. If it was something more important I feel like I would be noticing an issue rather than just the light. At this point I'm kind of thinking that the computer might disagree with the new tranny, but I'm making this post to see if anyone else has any ideas. I'm also considering taking it to my mechanic to see what their diagnosis would be. I don't think the solenoids or torque converter would be failing at 50,000 miles, and if they were wouldn't I be able to feel something abnormal? I don't know. Also just completed the valve cover gasket job, don't know what that could have messed up, just thought I would mention it. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks for reading.
Stereww is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote