Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 03:03 PM

arthurm is on a distinguished road

arthurm is on a distinguished road
Fumoto, Valvomax - nope - plastic plumbing tube instead

So, I've been considering either the Valvomax or Fumoto now that I'm approaching my first change after installing the Shrockworks skid.

The skid has about a 33mm hole to access the plug.

1. Valvomax: the hex nut is 24mm and so is the diameter of the cap. There's no way you can fit fingers in there to use it. Also, the drain cap is even wider than this.

2. Fumoto: Still waiting for dimensions from the company but I doubt I can install it without dropping the skid. That would be a choir I'd like to avoid! Even so, the reviews of leaks are worrisome. I know, I know...I've read plenty of testimonials here that they don't leak. OK, understood. Lastly, it seems pretty tight in there to flip the switch with my fingers.

So, what's a worried, cheap guy to do?

Use a standard plastic 1.25" sink drain tube! Loosen the plug first, slip the tube into the skid hole and finish unthreading the plug with a socket and extension. Remove the socket, hold the tube in place until the main gush of oil passes. Then wait a while or just remove it and let the rest of the oil drip through the hole.

To get crazy: see the lip on the tube? Cut the tube to length so the lip fits just UNDER the skid. Glue some magnets around the lip so they hold onto the skid. There, you don't even need to hold the tube while it's draining!

Going to give it a try but am confident it will work. It's cheap, clean and I never have to worry about anything.
Attached Images
Fumoto, Valvomax - nope - plastic plumbing tube instead-plastic-tube-oil-change-jpg