View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 07:35 PM

Eitek1 will become famous soon enough

Eitek1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by apc9199 View Post
I like the looks of this as an affordable option until I eventually go full-length with a Gobi, or similar. I agree, the OEM cross bars are pretty pathetic for anyone who wants to carry anything substantial on the roof, including lumber which has a tendency to work its way to the outside of the crossbars due to the radius of them. I think some rubber t-slot covers would help for anyone who is worried about wind noise across the slots.

10-Series T-Slot Cover - Black

My biggest concern right now is compatibility with a Yakima SkyBox. They use sort of a cam-action mounting hook that slides under the crossbars and clamps like a vise-grip.

Yakima Mounting Feet

Do you know how the clearance under the crossbars on this compare to OEM? Obviously it varies from center to outside since the crossbars do not follow the roof profile. It looks like the clearance at the sides is greater, but is very similar to OEM in the center. That might work if I center the SkyBox, but I often offset it to one side to be able to carry a bike or something off to one side. Could you provide any insight here? Perhaps I need a slightly taller overall version of your adapters?
I measured from the bottom of the bar to the very center of the roof and I had 1.25" of clearance. I checked between the two raised portions on the side and I had 1.5". Keep in mind the center line of the bars is above the rail by about an 1/8".

The dimensions of the bars are 1" X 3". Just eyeballing it, it looks like the clamps should work. They may not close completely around the back side of the bar but I can't tell 100% from the pictures.
Eitek1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote