Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 07:56 AM

Eitek1 will become famous soon enough

Eitek1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungster44 View Post
With these instructions it will give us everything we need for 1 bar correct? It is not a set? So if we wanted say 4 bars we would need to increase the quantity? Also what is the load strength on these bars? I would look to add a 180lb RTT plus people in it of course. Thanks!
Electroboy is correct. You will need to order 4 individual bars when you make an order to Tnutz.

As far as the loading, in a static condition the bars and brackets will hold in excess of 1000 pounds. I'm a pretty large guy and I mounted up the brackets on a bar put it on the ground and lightly shifted my weight on it. The bar will flex a bit but no issues. I weight about 280.

The bolts have a yield strength of 65k PSI. At this point the weakest part will be the rails. As Electroboy stated the listed rating is around 150 pounds with the factory rails. Once installed the rack setup is remarkably solid. I think that actually knowing the weight it would hold would require destructive testing and I'm not ready to offer my wife's 4Runner up to the gods of knowledge just yet.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it would hold a rooftop tent and occupants. The failure mode would have to be a deformation of the rail itself. Between the rail and the mounting point I think it's the weaker link but I think it will carry a significant amount of weight before that happens.
Eitek1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote