Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 11:37 PM

4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light

4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light 4Reak Show is a glorious beacon of light
Redarc brake controller install

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround13 View Post
Any other advice?
2015 Trail Premium, factory 7 pin in back, factory harness and plug for brake controller.

Wired as mentioned above with solid green wire omitted and extra wire spliced in for ground to body. Tried 2 different ground points under the dash and cleaned the trailer plug connections.

All lights work, headlights & trailer running lights, turn signals/hazards and brake lights with both brake pedal and knob over-ride.

Only problem is once I push the knob I get an ABS, multi terrain and traction light.

Hate to throw in the towel and buy a harness but supposed to leave on a trip in a few days....

*edit* I tested all connections in the harness and they are good, the ground also showed good when holding the meter on the body about a foot away from the ring and clipped to pin on the vehicle side of the harness.
I thought maybe it was because I didn't have the trailer fully hooked up to the rig, just close enough to test the harness, so I hooked the trailer up and did a test drive. Went through the calibration period and then seems to function as normal in both proportional and user-control modes. Push button applies the brakes.
And I've figured out that a 4 second hold on the knob is causing the dash lights to come on. Not sure why a momentary or 3 seconds is fine but any longer than that and the rig doesn't like it.

So again, I don’t have a trailer to test so I can’t offer any real world advice. All I can tell you is that any basic brake controller or harness appear to do the same thing as the Redarc: constant 12v power in, brake pedal signal in, trailer brake output and ground. There’s no difference I can tell in the Redarc factory harness combo vs a prodigy harness and brake controller combo.

Here’s one thing that did happen to me at work once: it was a newer highlander and we couldn’t get a wireless brake controller to work right. So we hard wired in a prodigy 2 using a universal harness basically exactly as directions say. 12v direct from battery, brake pedal 12v signal with brakes applied, trailer brake output ran directly to aftermarket 7-way and ground ran directly to battery negative. System worked fine. Until you hit the manual override switch and then all sorts of warnings came on. The prodigy would back-feed to brake light circuit to illuminate brake lights, same as the Redarc is designed to do. So functionally, the 2 brake controllers do literally the exact same thing.

What I’m thinking is on the highlander the computer saw brake lights coming on without brake pedal applied so it defied its logic. This doesn’t answer why your 4Runner flags issues since it comes wired from factory ready to go, which should indicate the computer’s logic should be present. I’m curious if there’s any issues with your trailer by chance. Otherwise, I don’t really know. Everything is set up how it’s supposed to be.

Edit: so I googled the issue and it turns out a lot of Toyota’s have the problem uou describe. Apparently the 3041-P harness I dissuaded people from acquiring may have a diode installed. Looking at e-trailer they also recommend some other gizmo same as a dodge or something that will activate trailer brake lights with manual override engaged. So, Tekonsha harness may fix dash warning lights, but will make trailer brake lights not come on with manual override. Other idea is to lightly apply brake pedal with manual override and that would tell the truck you’re commanding brakes. I don’t know of a time when you would want the trailer to do 100% of the braking anyway. Normally trailers the 4Runner can tow have like terrible 10” brakes anyway. I don’t know. But it is annoying as hell to have a factory feature by such a possible flop.

Wife's: 2016 Trail Premium, bone stock until she joins T4R.org one day...

Last edited by 4Reak Show; 07-11-2020 at 12:20 AM.
4Reak Show is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote