Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 03:37 AM
Elite Member

T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold
Elite Member

T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold T4R2014 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselchessy View Post
I think(??) that the issue with the ABS is that it pulses all the wheels when one slips. So your stopping fine, one wheel sensor detects a lockup, and the ABS then pulses all 4 wheels reducing braking power.

For me the TBU upgrade helps with the ABS. The way it helps is by avoiding warped rotors. When my stock rotors would warp then braking wasn't smooth and I'd lock up wheels much more often. With the TBU rotors don't warp and applying smooth consistent braking to avoid lock-ups is much easier.

I live up in the hills above town, so my daily drive involves several miles of down hill with switch backs and stop signs right at the bottom of hills. The OEM size 4 runner brakes never survived long.

I've never owned newer than a 99 so don't have intimate knowledge of the newer ABS.

I don't try and outsmart Engineers. I just understand that they have to consider many factors in their designs and sometimes I have a much narrower focus and usage. Sometimes changing things like suspension and such doesn't improve the overall design but for a small focus area of use. And almost always there is tradeoff and compromise when making changes.
Your explanation makes it sound like Toyota sold these off dealer lots and handed keys to automotive journalists with rotors completely warped. I have a feeling if they problem was as bad as it seems on T4R.org(home of the "LBJ failures are caused by anything but lift kits" crowd), then there would've been an SSC sent to your mail which got you upgraded calipers. Toyota did this for early Tundras.
T4R2014 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote