Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 06:52 AM

tv4184 will become famous soon enough tv4184 will become famous soon enough

tv4184 will become famous soon enough tv4184 will become famous soon enough
07/07/20 - rear suspension install

Initially I was going to pay a shop to do the whole suspension. Ended up deciding to do the rear since it wasn't too hard. I went ahead and bought some new tools for the occasion. Made the endlinks and shocks infinitely easier to work with. Also replaced a 1/2" socket wrench that some how got lost in the past 2 years.

I left the jack there in case of emergency but the jack stands are pretty solid.

Original OEM shocks with over 150k on them.

Dobinson 677 springs tower over the stock ones with the spacers on them. I found some dog food inside the bump stop...that was kind of weird.

I installed this 1/2" cornfed spacer onto the bump stop since I had issues with driver lean on the 4Runner. Dobinsons sells a 10mm spacer and Wheelers sells 5mm trim packers to help with this too. I just decided 1/2" was the way to go.

Now it should sit without any lean. Stock springs should be setup where the driver side is slightly taller or firmer to account for the weight of the gas tank. The Dobinson's rep said their springs do not have a driver / passenger side.

I don't really like the use of spring compressors but it was the only way to get the spring onto the axle with the spacer plus the driver side being harder to install on. This was my issue anyway. I would recommend getting a portable hydraulic equipment kit from Harbor Freight for doing this instead of using the jack like I did. I did have the jack slip once from the passenger side but it didn't fly off like I thought it would.

Passenger side went in with less issues partly because there was no gas tank in the way. I was at the 2 and half hour mark by now. Pretty hot down here and took several water breaks and a couple of sitting / staring off into the distance breaks.

Fox 2.0 DSC resi shocks

I have to thank @rickashay for mentioning the use of 2nd gen 4Runner endlinks on his 4th gen build. I bought these Proforged 2nd gen endlinks from rockauto from before I installed the suspension on my 4th gen but never had the chance to. Partly because of all the rust and out of sheer laziness.

I really like that they have an allen key to lock the endlink while you tighten it onto the sway bar.

I forgot an after picture but I did have the endlink backwards earlier.

Driver side rear before measurement to ground.

Passenger side rear before measurement to the ground.

Measurement after install of springs / 34s to the rear. Both sides are within mm of each other so I only had to post one measurement.

So if it were questionable whether I would fit in the garage or not when I first got my rig, it definitely won't fit now. Even if I were to delete the roof rack, the skin would still scrap the garage going in and that's with my door maxed out. The install did not go without any hiccups though. I ended up cross threading the panhard axle bolt. No worries because I'll have to install the eimkeith PCK next week so I'll have my rig towed out to the shop. It'll be the same shop that'll install my front setup anyway. Ordered some new hardware that should be here by then. I'm just glad to start making headway on the rig and reaping some rewards. Have a trip planned next month to Austin already too.

Parts Installed:
- Dobinsons C59-677V rear springs
- Cornfed 0.5" spacer on driver bumpstop
- Fox 2.0 reservoir DSC shocks
- 2nd gen 4Runner Proforged Swaybar endlinks

// 4G V8 // 3G 2.7 5MT // Model 3 // IS300 5MT // FD RX7 //

Last edited by tv4184; 07-12-2020 at 07:27 AM.
tv4184 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote