Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 01:33 PM

itr1275 has a spectacular aura about itr1275 has a spectacular aura about

itr1275 has a spectacular aura about itr1275 has a spectacular aura about
Wanding on freeway - Factory Caster Settings?

This is for a 2020 T4R Limited with about 600 miles on it so far. Bone stock - no mods. I have never had any other car do this that was maintained properly. I wanted to run this by the group before I take it in for service and ask them about it.

When I drive on Highway 85 between Winchester and Almaden Expressway in South San Jose, the truck oscillates side to side and it wanders like a lost puppy. It is very pronounced and you can't ignore it. I traded in a 2011 Limited that did not do this and I'm a bit puzzled.

My first thought is, it could be the tires interacting with the road. It comes with the mall crawler Geolandar G96B tires and the road has "rain grooves" that run parallel to traffic. My theory is that the tread is squishing around the grooves.

A freeway picture - look at the grooves.
Google Maps

My other thought is that factory caster settings might be weak. The caster is supposed to help keep the wheels straight while driving. So if they didn't get it right from the factory it could wander.

A few questions
  1. Is this normal with the mall crawler tires?
  2. Has anybody had a similar issue?
  3. Do either of my theories hold water?
  4. Any other theories?

TIA
itr1275 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote