Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 04:20 PM

702_SR5 is on a distinguished road

702_SR5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatia View Post

The hub/bearings could also be suspect.

I'm old school so I won't cross rotate any tires.
They only get moved from front to back or back to front same side.
In other words, they always rotate in the same direction.
These days the tire manufacturers say it doesn't matter, but on my vehicle it does, I don't cross rotate.

I also don't rotate tires unless I see some abnormal wear, usually the front tires show first.
It seems to me you are wasting a lot of time, energy and money by rotating your tires so much, but it's your call.
You may be spending more money with all this balancing stuff than you would by never rotating and just replacing the tires when needed, even if it may be a few thousand miles early.
If the hub and/or bearings were the problem, wouldn't the steering wheel shimmy occur no matter which wheels were on the front? I'm not an expert on these things, so maybe I'm overlooking something.

I'm rotating at 6000-7000 miles, I don't think that's excessive. All the extra visits have been due to the steering wheel shimmy, when it occurs. How many miles do you usually go between rotations?

You see wear first on the front tires, on a vehicle that is usually rear-wheel drive?

BTW, I've not paid anything extra to DT for all this extra work. I bought the tires there so the rotation/balance and roadforcing has been provided at no cost. Even when it has been done multiple times. However, now that we're at this point, they don't seem to have any answers.

As for rotation patterns, that's another subject. I've found that different DT shops don't follow the same patterns.
702_SR5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote