Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 10:17 AM

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of
CV Reboot Tutorial with Boot Stretch (80+ Pictures) Continued

Step 5: Remove Outer Boot | Return to Steps
The clamps on the outer joint are different from the inner clamps. The fact that there are 4 different CV boot clamps is one of the reasons that I decided to go with the worm drive clamps.

Small Clamp Outer Joint
There is a small tab retention tab that I broke off by rotating it with some pliers. After that I could pry it off with a screwdriver.

Large Clamp Outer Joint
There is not really a good place to pry on this one, so I just went under the crimp and twisted my screwdriver around until it unfolded a bit

Slide Outer Boot Off
Start by stretching the small end over the boot end channel. The best technique for this was to grab around the first rib and rotate while pulling. Next the large end can be slipped off the outer joint. The tricky clamp combined with the outer boot groove needs a bit more force to unseat.

Step 6: Clean Outer Joint | Return to Steps
I sprayed everything down with some degreaser and brake parts cleaner. I was really worried that the CV bearing cage and balls would fall out, but they're all safely retained in there. Turns out its actually a lot of work to get those out, so no need to worry!

This joint can be further separated, but there is a snap ring behind the bearing cage that needs to be removed. For their LT axles, Total Chaos actually recommends cutting the axle and sliding the stub through the bearing star in this installation tutorial. A different compressible snap ring is then installed with their kit that can be hammered through. Since we're doing regular axles and I don't want to cut them up, We're going to clean the grease out the best we can. I rotated the axle to a bunch of different positions and sprayed it down to remove as much old grease as possible.

After all this cleaning, I really want to get a parts washer! Funny thing is I could buy the HF Parts Washer and still have the whole project under the price of a remanufactured Toyota CV. That's the magic of doing your own mechanics, cost savings could be put towards new toys!

Last edited by y=mx+b; 07-15-2020 at 10:21 AM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote