Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 12:09 PM

itr1275 has a spectacular aura about itr1275 has a spectacular aura about

itr1275 has a spectacular aura about itr1275 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeastlives View Post
Have you ever taken a 4 runner or wrangler offroad? Or are you just repeating nonsense from other so call automobile writers? The Trd pro or offroad in stock form is far superior to the open diff base wrangler. That IFS that everyone keeps knocking is actually far superior to the Rubicon in the desert especially when you have to drive 30 miles of washboard dirt road with pot holes everywhere. My stock trd 4 runner once was on the Mojave dirt road and I completely left my Jeep bros like I was driving a trophy truck. On the Rubicon Jeep trail every IFS 4 runner made it to top with only a few broken front axles which we fixed in 45 mins or less. Those rubicon jeeps broken diffs, rear and front axles, and 1 2017 broke his transmission. As bad ass as some think the Rubicon is it ain't in stock form. EVERYONE has to modify their trail vehicle and every vehicle breaks it is just the 4 runner is built to break less. Hey but if you don't believe me try some serious offroading and watch how stock sucks and then try to modified your vehicle and watch how fewer problem points a 4 runner has over a Jeep. That 4 runner on paper isn't as capable as a stock bronco but how reliable do you actually think a Bronco will be in the real world 100+ miles from any help on a remote trail?
I'm totally agreeing with you on every point. It's not about reality, it's about marketing and image.

And yah. I've done my share of wheeling and broken some stuff. I've been up to my doors in rivers and smashed sliders on rocks. I do understand where IFS is good and where it's limited. Not everyone wants a desert runner nor a rock crawler.

Most of the 4runners, in my area, are used for mall runs followed by snow trips, The reality is most owners (in my area) don't want to go off road, don't want to tow and don't need a 4Low range. They should be driving crossovers, but they buy T4R because it fits and image they like. The reality is, more than 90% of my time is spend on smooth flat surfaces with traction.

The point I was trying to make is that Toyota is not trying to be best at any one thing, they are trying to be the most popular. Most popular = $$$.

Bumbo said it best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbo View Post
These trucks are already bit of a swiss army knife, which is great. They can do a bit of everything, but they are a jack of all trades, and a master of none.
To be popular then need a differentiator for the next generation, that could be a hybrid drive train. We know Toyota's affinity for hybrid systems and it seems logical.

Hybrid is unlikely to save you money unless, gas is ~6/gal or you drive ~30K miles a year. However, it can (if enabled) give you more power and more torque (if enabled) and can let you be much quieter off road. This would be at the expense of weight, cost and one more fancy thing to break.

As for the Bronco I was discussing the Ecoboost drive train. Even if it is garbage (time will tell) it has the public's eye as something different or dare I say perceived as better.
itr1275 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote