Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 10:26 PM

kaitlyn2004 will become famous soon enough

kaitlyn2004 will become famous soon enough
Help for completing/doing my cargo shelf?

Attached pics for reference: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I've got 2x 48"x"12" rubbermaid shelves, when I halved a 96" one. I kinda wish I could have gotten a few more itches width, but oh well.

I have a few things I need to figure out:
- How to reinforce the shelving - I think the weight capacity is fine, but "doubling the width" I have no integrity in the middle. I was thinking of SOMETHING like a couple of these mounted (even with just zip ties) diagonally which I'd suspect would provide all the structural integrity needed? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pau...unc/1000149703
- How to hold the shelving - I was thinking of a shorter 2x2 (or what size?) up on the wheel well shelf, along with the a longer one at the back. I'd probably need something like this attached to wood and holding up the shelf, but would it hold it well enough? Something else that would be better attached? https://images.homedepot-static.com/...67-64_1000.jpg I'm quite sure I can't get a post on BOTH sides to sit right beside the shelf due to width+trim, but not sure how far apart it would stand.
- How to secure it - I was going to use the cargo tie downs near the hatch + those turn buckles mounted to the rear shelf post, but not sure how to secure the forward one. Was also thinking something that could push into the cargo cover, just like the cover's post but not even sure how to go about that.

The idea is to have the shelf height at roughly the height of the cargo cover.

Also, this is a temporary + non-permanent solution, something I think I'll improve on later and only be putting in the car for weekend trips and whatnot.

Any advice/guidance to help me complete the build?

Last edited by kaitlyn2004; 07-19-2020 at 10:29 PM.
kaitlyn2004 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote