Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 07:42 PM

ads2539 is a jewel in the rough ads2539 is a jewel in the rough ads2539 is a jewel in the rough ads2539 is a jewel in the rough

ads2539 is a jewel in the rough ads2539 is a jewel in the rough ads2539 is a jewel in the rough ads2539 is a jewel in the rough
Sorry this post is so long! I didn’t originally plan on posting so much info.

I am doing this mod with L and R Moforkit lenses, 2 Sylvania ZEVO LED 7443R (red) bulbs and 2 TOMALL 7443 T20 sockets I bought from Amazon, and some 14 gauge wire I bought locally at Home Depot. I plan to splice into the factory tail light/brake light wiring, and not the trailer wiring. My lenses will hopefully have just running and brake lights - no turn signals, hazards, reverse or fog lights. The 7443 LED bulbs are similar to two filament standard bulbs.

I spent a couple hours today removing the rear bumper cover to get to the reflectors. I’m glad I did, because after I got the bumper cover off, I couldn’t remove the rusty nuts from the factory reflectors. The nuts just spun forever without coming off. To get the factory reflectors out of the bumper cover, I had to destroy them with a hammer and a dremel tool, with thankfully no damage to the bumper cover. I now have two nuts rusted onto very short bolts with a small flat retainer on the end of the bolt to use to attach the new lenses. My local hardware store had nothing remotely close to the nuts and bolts that I removed, so now they’re soaking overnight in PB Blaster. Hopefully I can reuse the nuts and bolts so I don’t have to hit up the local Toyota dealer or an auto parts store tomorrow.

Getting the bumper cover off was a bit of a pain, as there are two 10mm bolts close to the trailer hitch that couldn’t be removed because the hitch was in the way. While loosening/removing the hitch, ALL 4 (!) 13mm bolt heads snapped off. (I should have prepped them with PB Blaster.) None of the 4 17mm heads did, which is why I stupidly assumed the 13mm bolts would also come off easily. I was able to loosen the 4 17mm bolts at the trailer hitch enough to get the 2 10mm bolts off without having to remove the hitch completely. After all that, the bumper cover came off very easily.

Now, as part of this project, I have to remove the four snapped off 13mm bolts from the frame rails, rethread the four frame rail holes, and install four new 13mm (or larger) bolts. Fun!