Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 08:22 PM

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerlumni View Post
First time changing the oil in my V8...I had been letting the dealer do it.

I put it on ramps drained till just a few drips and then poured in 6 quarts as well as a few ounces in the filter before I put it on.

Took it off the ramps onto level ground, started up for a few minutes and then let it sit for an hour or so. I came back to check thinking I could possibly need to add a little but to my surprise the level is about 3/4” above the full dot on the dipstick.

Would leaving it on the ramps when draining have left that much additional oil in the pan to where I’m now over full? Is that much above the fill dot enough to worry about?
Did you wipe the dipstick and reinsert it to check the level, if not try checking it again and clean the dipstick and reinsert it to check the level, it could be showing a higher level from when the engine was running?

Yes it could be that you didn't drain all the oil because it was on the ramps, a T4R is high enough that most anyone can crawl under it to change the oil, unless you are an extremely large person.

Also you should be able to judge the volume of oil that came out to make a good guess if you got close to 6 quarts out.

I would drain some of the oil out, 3/4" on the stick is overfilled by 1 1/2 to 2 quarts I would guess, a little over filled will not hurt to much but a quart or more is not good IMHO.