View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 10:44 PM

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of
CV Axle Replacement | Return to Directory
Replacement Tutorial: CV Removal, New Seal Installation, and Reinstall Tutorial (120+ Pictures)
I finally got around to replacing my passenger side CV axle with the axle I rebooted recently! I took pictures again to make a tutorial to try and help someone else out. I read a few threads and watched a few videos, but wanted to make something that was my own that I could share with others. So far, the differential seal doesn't leak, so I'm really happy!

Learning from My Mistakes
Acknowledging and reflecting on mistakes is an important part of the learning process. I did make a few mistakes along the way, but I made sure to note them, so future CV replacers could benefit from them. The main issue was a rusty ring around the inner side of the ADD jackshaft, which was causing my seals to tear along their outer edge. I fixed this by scraping away at the crusties with a little pick, and after I got it cleaned up, I got the seal in first try without issue.

I also got my first negative comment on this post. I try to be as positive and constructive as possible in my posts because I really want to help people tackle their projects. It was frustrating to see others not wanting to be as constructive. Thankfully, I had a good interweb friend back me up!

Differential Drain Plug Problems
So when I last changed my gear oil, I rounded the front differential drain and ended up welding a nut on there. I did it while the plug was still in the diff, because that was the only way I could get it out. I changed the crush washer with that gear oil change, but I noticed a really slow leak around the plug.

When pulling the plug to change the CV axle, I took a closer look at the plug. Looking at the plug's flange, there is a slight deviation where the biggest weld concentration is located. For experimentation, I put RTV on a new crush washer to see if it makes a difference. Is it a good idea, probably not, but I like a good experiment. If it doesn't work out, I don't mind draining the fluid and replacing the plug with one of these fancy Lexus plugs that has a protruding head, rather than the socket head. We will see how this plays out, so far no leaks!

Last edited by y=mx+b; 09-07-2020 at 08:30 PM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote