Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Troika is on a distinguished road

Troika is on a distinguished road
4th Gen vs 5th Gen

Here's a hypothetical question that I realize calls for some subjectivity, but:

I have a 2013 SR5 that I'm really happy with. Good tires and a Bilstein adjusted ride, but I've otherwise slowed my build. It has about 88k miles and no issues.

There is a 2008 V8 limited in my family with about 28k miles (not a typo) that will be available to me at some point soon if I wanted it. I would let the 2013 go in this case. There is no scenario where I keep both.

It's a city vehicle that I will take into the mountains. I'm not looking for a wheeler, but we get off pavement and at altitude for camping and exploring and it's been on the beach and in the snow in the last 6 months.

Assuming some degree of build (racks, sliders, skid plates, lighting) Which would you prefer to build on?

I think that I like the size of the 4th gen a little bit better, but I dislike the amount of body plastic compared to the 5th gen. However, that V8 is really nice. I'm not quite sure how to feel about the full-time AWD vs the 2W High, 4W High, 4W Low configuration as a preference. I've driven both on and off road in fairly tough conditions.

This isn't going to happen immediately, but I'd like to sort out how I feel about it. Which would you rather build from?

Last edited by Troika; 08-03-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Troika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote