View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 08:43 PM

Skulking is a jewel in the rough Skulking is a jewel in the rough Skulking is a jewel in the rough

Skulking is a jewel in the rough Skulking is a jewel in the rough Skulking is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampycu View Post
So, I have a 96 4runner that I have owned for about 5 years now and it has really given me no problems up until now other than a head gasket leak I fixed about a year ago. its only got 184k miles, so not even crazy high mileage. I have also scoured this site and others and cannot find anyone describe exactly what I got wrong.

The problem: the car randomly dies while running and occasionally will not start. If it wont start, it turns over, just won't fire. The fuel pump seems to be running as I can hear the faint whine. when it dies, there is no warning and no unusual driving conditions. Sometimes it will run for an hour with no issues, other times in dies within 15 minutes. It also never throws a CEL code.

What I have replaced so far:
Vapor canister
fuel pump and strainer
fuel filter
Throttle position sensor
Mass air flow sensor
Idle air control valve
I have also looked for loose wires and cannot find any

At this point I have no idea what to try next. Part of my problem is that it does not seem to be consistent. As an example, I ran it for an hour yesterday, started it multiple times and ran it around the neighborhood - no problem... I go out today and it sputters and dies immediately, then after a few tries it starts and runs for about 5 minutes then dies and will not start back...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
It's not throwing a CEL, but have you actually hooked it up to a scanner and tried to pull codes? You should be able to pull pending codes as well even if it hasn't actually thrown a CEL yet.

Do you know what the age of your plugs, plug wires, and ignition coils is? Not saying that is the problem since I would think it would take more than a bad plug to cause the engine to shutdown, but it would be good to rule those out.
Skulking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote