Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 11:37 AM

montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of

montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of montijo505 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller507 View Post
Keep us posted, looking forward to read a honest review after some seat time.
Right away I noticed it idles smoother/quieter. The RPM's are lower at 75 mph than before. Is it a back to stock tire size difference? No. But it does feel more powerful/alive if that makes sense.

Going towards my house is a steepish incline with a 65 mph speed limit. Before this the truck would kick in to overdrive but it would hunt. As in OD then drop it then kick into OD again with no input from me. Now it doesn't kick into OD on that same stretch unless I'm really on it.

I have 33's, plate front bumper, steel skids, sliders, hitch tire carrier with full size spare. She's a heavy girl lol. I had been logging my MPG for some time manually because I knew I was gonna do this mod. It averaged 14.7 over the last 6 tanks according to mileage/gallons.

I haven't gassed it up since the cam gears, it's been just sitting mostly. Once I get through at least 3 or 4 tanks I'll report back.

The install was wicked easy, though I did have an extra set of hands. The process is time consuming as there is lots of clips and connections on the intake manifold. Go easy on the install on the valve cover bolts and do it with a manual tool. I snapped one of the first ones off (damn milwaukee 3/8 ratchet) . I'll have to address that in the future but for now it's not leaking at least. The Mercedes engine mount tool they talk about in that thread made torquing the cam gear bolts super easy, glad I had it.

I do recommend buying new gaskets for the job. I got both valve cover gaskets, plenum gasket, throttle body gasket, PCV valve and FIPG for around $80 from McGeorge Toyota online. At 155k mine felt a little stiff compared to the new ones but not brittle yet. Also did the spark plugs while I had the intake manifold off and everything apart. I was pleasantly surprised with how clean everything was under the covers. I did notice a bit of oil in the plenum under the intake. None on the oil plugs. I may install a catch can just for peace of mind.

Sorry for the rambling post, just things that came to mind once I started typing. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
montijo505 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote