Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 02:16 PM

Friggin Idiot is just really nice Friggin Idiot is just really nice Friggin Idiot is just really nice Friggin Idiot is just really nice

Friggin Idiot is just really nice Friggin Idiot is just really nice Friggin Idiot is just really nice Friggin Idiot is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dusty View Post
I had LTs in E load. From my experience toyos compound in general lasts longer than the competition. I think the LT compound is also always going to be tougher and harder than the P metrics. A 3/4 ton truck would likely roast a softer rubber with the increased pressures the tires would see.

My only comment here is I'm sure there is some tradeoff. As you loose compound softness you would also see reduction in traction? I'm thinking this softness effect is similar to how winter tires stay soft in extreme cold.

The science behind winter tires and how they work - The Globe and Mail
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLlama View Post
I have E rated and wear has been great. No noise either. I love the tire with the two mentioned issues.

1. sidewall isn't holding up as well as i thought, but then again, if it was a P tire it could have just ripped apart? IDK

2. Snow traction is almost non existent . Though, in the rain they do well. Strange

The E Loads aren't an option for me because 98% of the time my truck is running it's just me in it. I ran the KO2 E loads for 21kmi before ditching them, the horrible ride was just one of the problems I had with those.
The lack of snow traction was one of the biggest complaints from the AT2 that was supposed to be improved in the AT3. I've been trying to read up more on it, but apparently each manufacturer keeps the actual silica / silane mixtures a closely guarded secret. There's got to be more than a slight difference in compound between the P & LT tires with a 15k mi difference in the warranty. I am left wondering if that would be enough to cause noticeable difference in cold weather/snow/ice grip.
Now that I'm thinking more about weight, I've also wonder if you're running a tire designed for X weight on it, and you've only got 60% of X that the tire will not provide as much grip as designed because it's not being deformed enough by the weight put on it. Sure the sidewall will flex more with a lower psi, but if the actual tread isn't deformed as designed that's got to impact grip/traction too. Maybe an unrealized drawback of going to E load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtn4x4 View Post
They do offer a 285/75 C and a 35x11.5 C...
While my front are Icon LT, the rear is just stock. I doubt I'd be able to run those without reconfiguring more of the suspension than I'd like to get into.

The Idiot Thread - 2014 Trail Premium w/KDSS & some mods

2018 BMW 340xi M-Performance 6MT

Last edited by Friggin Idiot; 08-29-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Friggin Idiot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote