Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 09:26 PM
Banned

Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future
Banned

Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future Mutant138 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundy View Post
I think it depends what the fully armored scenario ends up being - I voted no on the poll based on my weight/benefit ratio.

If you can find a shop to build a lo-pro rear like you've been sketching up, or rear "sliders" and maybe a lightweight front (hybrid bumper or lo-pro with wings) sure. For me - the daily drive-ability without needing a re-gear and tanking the mileage is a factor, but I put on about 30K/year. I'd love to get better front/rear protection - the weight is the hold up.

There is a Hefty Fabworks full front bumper (aluminum - weight ~59lbs) for sale locally to me under the $2K mark and powdercoated - that's a pretty appealing option, lmk if you want me to find the details again and send your way. I just can't justify adding 130+ to the front alone for a full steel bumper.
Not terribly worried about mpg's but im already at like 12-13 average with the mods I have. I'm guessing people with everything are averaging single digits. I have only put about 20k on my truck in three years and that's only going to go up if I take more trips (which I want more armor for...).

As far as re-gearing this might be something I'm open to. Maybe a front locker while I'm at it. I too would like would like to avoid this if possible tho. Just another headache for my wallet.

Will see about my hybrid rear bumper thing...I've been ghosted by three shops now and I'm losing patience hence me asking about just saying f it and order some bumpers. I would love to build it all myself but I want to convert my carport to a garage first so I would have proper workspace. This might be what I do but that will push the build a long way out in the future.

Aluminum is not really something I consider. If it get's bent or cracks there is not a ton you can do for it. From what I hear they have to add material to make it stronger which seems to negate the weight savings a little. If it cost me less then a new bumper in steel I would consider it idk it would have to be the right price.
Mutant138 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote