Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 01:52 PM

Anthonie is on a distinguished road

Anthonie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kab0ng View Post
Preamble:

Webster's dictionary defines 'overland' as a word first used in the 12th Century to describe a journey by, on or across land. A more prescriptive usage of the phrase is provided by Overlandjournal.com, which defines it as a “described self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.” Very nicely put, if you ask me.

I think it's generally accepted that there are two camps here on the forums: The extreme off-roaders who enjoy modding their beloved T4R to tackle the toughest obstacles this planet has to offer and those of us who simply want to accessorize our T4Rs to enjoy the journey between point A and B. It seems that the majority of posts favor the former over the latter, so I wanted to start one which was dedicated specifically to Overlanding and the people who enjoy this type of activity.

With that in mind, if you plan to participate in this thread, I’d like to ask you to keep it on topic to Overlanding and avoid cluttering the thread with unneccesary modding, extreme off-roading or other unrelated topics. Examples of appropriate topics (as I see them) would be vehicle preparation, personal essentials, overlanding trip reports, camping gear recommendations, food preparation recommendations, etc.

This is strictly voluntary, of course, but hopefully this thread appeals to those who enjoy Overlanding as much as I do and appreciate the effort to have this sort of discussion all in one place. With any luck, we could have this turned into a dedicated section of the forums so that it has a home for the longer term.

==================================

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get this bad boy kicked off right with some vehicle essentials. Over the last year, I’ve been accessorizing my ’16 TE w/KDSS with some basic additions. I’ve listed the most prominent ones with where I got them from and would be happy to explain my reasoning to anyone who wants to know.
  • Roof Rack w/ladder (Bajarack standard basket/ladder)
  • Shovel/Ax/Folding Hand Saw (Home Depot)
  • MaxTrax (Ordered online)
  • Schumacher Digital Power Station (Walmart)
  • Expanded Tool Kit (jack, flares, cave light/flash light, high-vis gear)
  • Plastic Fuel Cans (Scepter - Tractor Supply)
  • Recovery strap/soft shackles (Bubba Rope & Soft Shackles - Amazon)
  • Fire extinguisher (Walmart)
  • Vehicle fluids (drive train, radiator, etc) (Walmart)

Mod edit: I have stickied this thread at the top of the General Forum. Eventually we will make an Overlanding sub forum.
-mod-
this idea goes well with me and I will be happy to share my experiences in this thread
Anthonie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote