thobry is on a distinguished road
Angry Bleeding Brakes on 3rd Gen not working - need help

I just did a massive brake job on my 4Runner, replacing all of this:
  1. master cylinder
  2. rear drums and shoes
  3. rear cylinders
  4. front rotors and pads
  5. and flexible brake lines with Wheelers Off-road lines
  6. plus replaced all the bleeder valves.

I bench bled the master.
I have bled the whole system 3 times now always starting with the passenger rear, then driver rear, then pass front, ending on the driver front.

After all this... My brakes are spongy!

When I press down they are "slow". It feels like there is air in the line that I'm trying to compress down and then the truck comes to a stop - but not immediately. I am just rolling down the street at about 15 MPH and its slllooooww to stop. For example, when I drive my Nissan Maxima, the brakes are snappy and tight. As soon as I give them a press, they grab! NOT so in the 4Runner.

I used the Maddox Dual Vacuum/Pressure Hand Pump Kit, purchased from Harbor Freight. It holds a vacuum no problem. On the last bleed, I watched bubbles coming out then I got solid brake fluid.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?
Does the ABS have anything to do with my problem?

I watched Timmy's video to make sure I did it right...
Brake Fluid Bleed/Flush - YouTube

The only difference is my 1998 4Runner doesn't require the key to be in the ignition to activate the brake booster.

Last edited by thobry; 09-23-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added info about ABS and Timmy video
thobry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote