Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 02:26 PM

Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about

Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about Kryptoroxx has a spectacular aura about
Just got some very bad news. The friend who was going to help me weld up the headers had to leave town so in order to get the 4runner out of the garage in less than 2 weeks I have to do the welding myself. Now usually that wouldn't be an issue but since it is stainless I had to get a special spool of wire. Now I need to get some practice pieces of stainless so I can be confident in welding this up without making a mess of a pair of beautiful headers. The more I research though stainless is easier to flux or mig than it is to tig so I have fortune running with me. From what I've seen slow wire and cranking the heat will make sure everything is solid but I want to practice on some similar pieces before I take a crack at the real thing. Stay tuned......

Not advertising for these guys but they do make pretty good wire so I'm willing to give it a go to get this thing on the road again.

Blue Demon 308LFC-O X .035 X 1# Spool stainless steel flux cored gasless welding wire - Brazing Rods - Amazon.com

Back in the garage for day 3. The extractors came in so naturally I dropped everything on a Saturday morning for some wrench therapy. Stud came out easily and its all about having the right tool for the right job. Deep well extractors added to the tools list. It isn't necessary but if you fudge yourself then it comes in handy. Pics are below and link to the product is as well. Pretty cheap and honestly for us yota people this set should help with multiple projects as well.

TOPEC 5-Piece Spiral Type Deep Extractor Set, Twist Socket Easy-out Set, for Removing Deeply trapped and Broken Bolts, Studs, Fittings, Threaded Pipes and Pins - - Amazon.com

Remove all the 02 sensors at this point. Don't start cutting and welding with those things in or you might have some deep regrets.

Ok on to the fun stuff!

Follow the instructions and cut off the heat shield. Its 1 5/8" off the end of the cat. The weld is kinda sloppy on mine so its going to be a good guesstimate any way you cut it.

For centering I marked the center of the 02 sensor bung in a straight line past where the weld will be so that I could cut the original manifold and line everything up. At this point it is a good idea to take a look at the rotation of the exhaust seals and where the studs are on the ypipe you are using. If you're going custom all the way back do as you please and just make sure you line everything up right. Each side has a unique angle and rotation. I am not sure why they did this but a bull whipping would be a good idea for that particular engineer.

Cut behind the 02 bung on the factory manifold and then seat the cat into the new shiny things. Center everything up. Make sure you mark everything for which side it is on! Please....

After you've sliced and diced make your marks based on the line through the center of the 02 sensor. It should look even across the cat. The directions say 5/8" off the end of the cat. Again since its welded this is pseudoscience but its enough to check your markings you made with the new header slid on top the old tubing.

Now for fun take it apart and then match up your old header for rotation and see if it looks the same. It should be very very close.

Now I have to stop here because I am waiting on my wire to come from the great Amazon. I am tacking everything on Monday and then will check for fit on the whole assembly. You can also go through at this point and start adding the new hardware so mocking and everything is a slick process.

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-03-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Kryptoroxx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote