View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
JBA control arms fit on mine with 285/75/17's on stock Trail wheels, but I did some minor clearance work (grinding) to make them clear at full steering lock. Would be great if one of the aftermarket companies would produce a stock style arm with 1cm relocate of the ball joint for $50 each. That's really all we need for most people. Alternative a simple set of offset bushings on the stock arms could also work just fine to fix the problem for a lot less $.

Also - just FYI - caster is measured to level ground. So the rear lift effects your caster measurement. The higher the rear goes, the less caster you have even if the front remains the same. It's roughly 0.5* of caster for every inch of lift. So if you measure caster and then add one inch of rear height and then re-measure caster again, it will go down by 0.5*. So someone who does a 2" front lift and 1" rear will have slightly different outcome from someone doing a 2" front and 2" rear.

On my 4Runner, I was able to get around 2.1* caster maxed out IIRC with stock UCAs and about 2" lift front and 1.5 rear. With JBA arms I measured IIRC to add around 4* caster by geometry. The drive quality is improved IMO, although not a huge amount with 4* caster vs 2*. When I crank up the height to 3" or so front, then the extra caster becomes more necessary for decent handling.

I've adjusted the height a lot over the years on mine and had a bunch of different settings and suspension setups. My overall conclusion - stock height is the best for ride quality. Ride quality degrades quickly as you pass around 2" of lift. Even with UCAs.

Last edited by Jetboy; 10-05-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Jetboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote