View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 AM

importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough

importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomF4E View Post
I've got a 2006 SR5 (193K miles), and I had the dreaded "won't shift out of park" episode the other day, and after searching the forums, I looked at all of the fuses in the area to the left of the steering wheel and none were blown (I was thinking it might be a brake lights issue, but I had the wife press the pedal and they both worked fine).

Long story short, it happened a few times, and I was able to get it shifted by using the shift interlock button to release it manually. After I checked all the fuses and replaced them (as none were blown), I haven't had it happen again. I'm not worried if it does as I carry a small Gerber-type tool in my vehicle just in case, but I'm just curious if anyone has other ideas on what may have caused it. Seems like it could be a variety of different things, but I guess I thought for sure I'd find a blown fuse of some sort.

As an aside, I will say that I had some work done on the rear bumper lately (picked it up on Friday from that work and this happened Saturday morning), and seeing as I have a tow package installed, is it unreasonable to think that perhaps when they were doing the work to the rear bumper, they messed with the wiring harness for trailer light hookup? I've hauled trailers and things before and never had any issue that I was aware of...
If there's any chance that some drink or coffee has gotten spilled in there that could be the culprit. I've seen it many times. Especially if it was a drink with sugar it it. It can gum up the mechanism and cause it to not work. It's not all that hard to happen either, considering the location of the cupholders in relation to the shifter. If so, you just have to clean it out and maybe spray a light lubricant in there and it will work fine again.
importman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote