Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 12:46 AM

Boort will become famous soon enough Boort will become famous soon enough

Boort will become famous soon enough Boort will become famous soon enough
@wiz329
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz329 View Post
This is great. I saw your posts on the other thread as well. The wings are just a single piece of wood (cut with a band saw I'm assuming?), correct? I saw all of the lines on the drawings, but I'm guessing that's just an artifact?
Yes, the base plate and wings was designed as a single piece of plywood. The pattern was traced to the 5' wide piece from the full sized cardboard mockup then cut with a circular saw and jig saw then sanded to final dimension.

The lines you see in my sketchup renderings on the "top wings" and bottom "ears" are the contour measurements to get a tight fit with the side of the 4runner. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...ormlegsiso-jpg) Since my drawer box was taller ~2" over the wheel wells, the than the plans I needed to make my own curve measurements. since the the profile of the interior of the truck was different than the one at the level in the plans. They are an old boat builders trick to copy complex curves into a 2d plan. The wider spacing was 1" and the narrow spacing was 1/4" IIRC. The 1/4" spacing was needed where the curve around the wheel wells changed too quickly for the 1" and I needed more resolution to avoid just cutting a straight line that would not mate up as well as I would have liked. When in Sketchup I drew a straight reference line then I draw out each line to the measured distance, then connect the end points to draw the curve in the Sketchup model.

As mentioned earlier some of the design changes that I made to the plans from TheAdventureIndex Required that I remove the wings from the base plate that tucked in behind the wheel wells to mate with the tie down points.

Since I made my drawer box a single 2 drawer unit to reduce weight and slightly increase storage space in the drawers as well as increased the height over what was in the plans. These 2 changes required that I remove the wings so that the box could be removed from the truck once assembled.

Boort