Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 12:08 PM

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jross20 View Post
So, when I gently turn my wheel left and right, I his this light clunk/click.

What I've done:
  1. All tie rods
  2. Steering Rack Bushings
  3. Lower Control Arm Bushings

2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6; 154k miles

My 98 had really bad slop in it when I got it. a chunka-chunka back and forth.
My 97 had zero slop in it.

I Put the body from the 98 onto the frame of the 97. (it's more complicated than that but... mostly) so the rack, rods, and bushing/rag joint were all pretty new and had zero play before, so it had to be upstream of the power train.

My 2 cents

1. old rack (off 98) had a little bit of play and leaked a bit.
2. the old bushings were kind of shot so very likely this was also a little slop.
3. the u-joint had a tiny bit of slop in it. this I swapped over from the 97 and it removed the remaining slop

so as your finding out the steering is the sum of all the parts. Each part had a tiny bit of wear in it so that totaled a larger chunka-chunka.

This is the u-joint part and it's a big pain to get at.... but like I said mine had worn a bit.

YOKE SUB-ASSY, STEERING SLIDING

sleepydad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote