Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 06:38 PM

vdog2000002 is on a distinguished road

vdog2000002 is on a distinguished road
I am an insurance agent / broker that represents (sells) products from multiple insurance companies. They all have their own rating platform (software) that tries to decipher the VIN's and identify the trim level and all the options installed on the vehicle. Sometimes the systems do not properly decode the VIN, it is usually a problem with new model year vehicles. When this happens I ask the customer what trim level the vehicle is and what features it has. Some companies allow the agent to edit the data for the trim level if the system did not properly decipher the the VIN, but some companies do not. For example my Mustang Shelby GT350 shows up as a Mustang GT. I called the carrier and they said that the system does recognize the difference between a GT and a GT350 but there is no rating / pricing difference between the two. From a claims stand point, the insurance company will base the repairs / value on the VIN and the manufacture's identification of what trim that vehicle is. I would advise anyone to make sure that their declarations page shows the trim level of their vehicle and the correct VIN. If the declarations page shows a different trim I would E-Mail the agent or the insurance company's service department and advise them of the discrepancy. They might not be able to change it but you will have notified them. Always email to create a tracible digital trail. Also, make sure that you notify your insurance agent / company of any aftermarket upgrades. Most policies do not cover much more than $1,500 of aftermarket parts without a specific endorsement. One more thing, some companies don't like to insure lifted vehicles, ask your agent and find a different insurance company if you need to. You don't want to find this out during a claim.

Last edited by vdog2000002; 12-01-2020 at 06:50 PM.
vdog2000002 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote