Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 AM

99blkx is on a distinguished road

99blkx is on a distinguished road
JR's basic boring "build" - dog hauler and ski transport

I've pretty much kept a build log on all my vehicles to track what I did and when so why should this truck be any different...

THANK YOU TO TIMMY AND ABSALOM. Your videos and posts have already been helpful.

I sometimes have vehicular ADD. Buy em, build em, part em, sell em, rinse and repeat. I've been into Miatas for a while and have built a few different ways. My last was a beautiful and capable track car. But I didn't track it enough and I wanted a v8. When my dog died a few months ago I made a grief purchase of a 94 Mustang GT with 213k miles. That's a build for another forum.

With ski season approaching, even though I may not ski this year, I wanted another rig. I was searching 4Runners, Pathfinders, Blazers, etc. and came across this. 1999 SR5 with sport hood, e-locker, and 270k miles. It's a 20' car. Looks a lot better in pictures than it does up close. Absolutely no service records. Has a sticker for timing belt at 218k and radiator looks newer. Pisses a bit of oil and everything underneath has a nice coating. I'll be paying a buddy to do valve cover gaskets. He's done about a dozen of them.

Cost: $4100
Sold: Cargo box ($350) and Blizzaks ($420)
Purchases so far:
5th gen wheels: $150
Duratracs: $350
Rock Auto parts: $460
Rock Auto returns: ($120)
New cam bolts secondhand: $100
New OEM steering rack: $585
Whiteline bushings: $65

The steering rack was unexpected. I found that it was dead when I went to do the inner tie rods. Passenger side boot full of PS fluid. Neat. Yes I am using some Moog ball joints and sway bar bits plus AC Delco OTRE's. I expect to be banned from this alone.

Woke up the next morning... what did I do??

Untitled by 99blkx, on Flickr

Sold these but they came with it.

Bath time.

20 footer...

"Records"

Parts pile.

This little guy is handy. He gets the spot light but the tie rod separator rocks too.

Passenger side was bad.

That was after I caught a cup full and dumped it out. Boot was FULL.

Skid plate is rust proof.

Fooooooooooooooooooooo

Asinine sticker placement.

Much better.

Not good but didn't have to cut any out. Whew!

Pulled this off. Not my thing.

Better. Still a fat lip with a dent.

Bought a new thing.

Bought another thing.

A must for UBJ. The C clamp tool wasn't getting it done. I even hit it with an impact.

New wheels.

New tires. Need to find a fifth wheel.

Build Thread
99blkx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote