Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 03:48 PM

JasonDoyle is on a distinguished road

JasonDoyle is on a distinguished road
Alright everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the great suggestions and (thanks to your help) to let y'all know the problem has been fixed.

As it turns out, when the power steering first started to make some noise, I thought I'd replace the fluid myself so I took an extraction pump and sucked out all of the old fluid. I remember that when I did so, the hose seemed to hesitate at what I'd have to guess was the bottom of the reservoir, but that I could actually get the hose to go down even lower than that if I forced it a little. I figured 'great. I'll be able to get even more of the old fluid out if I get the hose down as low as possible.' Well, as it turns out, I somehow managed to damage and dislodge the screen in the reservoir. When my mechanic replaced the pump, he did not replace the reservoir an instead, just reused the original. This meant that no matter how many times he replaced the pump, the problem remained.

When I took it back to him this last time, I asked if he had looked at the reservoir when he replaced the pump and he said he hadn't. Needless to say, when he drained the fluid and stuck a borescope in the reservoir, he could see that the screen was displaced and restricting flow from the reservoir.

So, long story short, I somehow displaced/broke the screen in the reservoir and once a new reservoir was installed, problem solved.

There's not doubt in my mind that if I hadn't forwarded y'alls suggestions to my mechanic, I would still be wrestling with this problem so I again want to extend my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who took the time to offer their suggestions. Couldn't have done with out this communities help.

Cheers all!
JasonDoyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote