Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 01:56 PM

Captsolo will become famous soon enough

Captsolo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeentbawlur View Post
So last weekend I did some much needed repairs on my frame on the passenger rail mainly near the transmission crossmember.

After the repairs were done the old girl started up with a little help from a jump (thanks to the battery being unplugged for long hours-days at a time) and she ran fine.

Started her up probably 3 or 4 times with no real issue. Then the last night the battery was a bit low so I trickle charged it overnight.

The next day, when trying to turn it over, all I get are hard clicks. No attempt at turning over at all.

CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK

So my Dad and I figure starter is shot, as it had been making strange noises up until that point anyways.

I get a new starter and install it.

Same problem.

So I do some research and think maybe I have a bad ground somewhere (could still be the issue I suppose) and I actually found one that looked sketchy on the frame right below the battery. I take that off and clean up everything and replace that.

Same problem.

We've tried jumping it and that doesn't change anything either.

I've checked probably a dozen threads on starter issues and mainly see people saying the battery as the culprit, but no one has had my set of symptoms. All the others have been from deep water runs.

So, does anyone have a logical next step for me to take? I don't really want to take it to my mechanic and pay for hours of bad ground searching if it can be mitigated otherwise. I'm very new to all this. But thanks to this 4runner I am learning how to fix nearly everything on a vehicle, for better or worse.

Any and all help is very appreciated. I've looked for hours on the internet with no real true direction to head next. If anything needs clearing up, please ask!
I've had to replace three starters in my 2005 4runner (150,000) miles. Two bolts to take off. Had my mechanic do it.

On mine they would just quit after 4 years. No click, no nothing. Only issue with 4runner in 15 years. OEM WP, radiator, alternator, brake MS; 1 caliper,
Starters are cheap at Amazon for the 4runner.
I have a brand new back up in the garage because I expect another failure,
It will be 4 years on the one in this car in February.
I live in the Bahamas. Lot more starts than in Miami on a car.
Drive Train is as good as new. That's what I like about 4runners.
GM's don't last.
I think I will get to 500,000 miles on my Toyota.

garaged
coolant level is always the same level in the overflow canister.
Starts up the same as 15 years ago!
burns no oil.
leaks a drop of oil a week (just leave it).
No synthetic / stick with conventional
paint is like original - no chips or fading

I wonder if your alternator isn't charging the battery adequately.
I bought a cheap $50 alternator battery tester that reads out in words if alternator or battery needs replacing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Captsolo; 12-13-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Captsolo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote