View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 03:23 AM

fubarovich is on a distinguished road

fubarovich is on a distinguished road
help/opinions needed for road trip preparation

Hi folks. Life sucks right now and to help clear my head I'm planning a solo road trip with just my dog in my 2019 4runner ORP (currently 15k miles on her). I plan on leaving Chicago mid January and setting aside 1-2 months to do this. My drive will look something like this Chicago -> NM -> AZ (Tuscon, Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon) -> Vegas -> Seattle WA. If everything checks out I will make Seattle my new home and have my crap shipped there from Chicago, and if not I will need to plan my return drive at a later date. I plan on stopping at various national parks and offroading spots along the way, spending a up to a week in some areas (airbnb/hotels). What I really need some help with is planning the types of supplies/tools I need to bring.

Currently at minimum I think I will need:

Gas can (not sure what size)
Air Compressor
Sleeping bag
Cooler
Basic tools (metric wrenches/socket set/ratchet)
High quality flashlight
Possibly snow chains? - never had to use before.

I'm currently running stock wheels and tires. I dont see myself replacing the wheels any time soon but I'm not sure if proper all terrain or even off-road tires are a must. One possible option is to keep stock rubber on until I get to the more interesting parts of New Mexico and find a Costco out there to do a quick swap.

If anyone has tips or ideas on what I should bring and what to expect in terms of weather I'm all ears. Thank you very much

Last edited by fubarovich; 12-16-2020 at 04:04 AM. Reason: title change
fubarovich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote