View Single Post
Old 12-17-2020, 08:08 PM

jfeltT4R will become famous soon enough

jfeltT4R will become famous soon enough
Pretty productive day, hoping the trend continues.

Today's completed tasks:

*Install poly bushings into new steering rack

*Install steering rack (left loose so I have wiggle room when installing cam adjusters).

*Press out front hubs and prep for blasting/coating

Steering Rack:

Pressed out OEM bushings to replace with the TC Poly bushing kit. Used a basic ball joint service kit and an impact. Made for quick work.

Final Product:

The engery suspension bushing kit I have previously used came with a washer that mounts between the rack and the frame where the long through bolts goes. The TC kit did not come with one and after setting the rack in place, it definitely needs a washer. Just picked up a 5/8" washer from my local ace.

But anyway, here is the rack installed and ready to be torqued whatever year I finish this project. (Waiting on the new bushing bracket to come in the mail)

Front Hubs

I want anything and everything practical to be new/rebuilt on this build. So with that being said, might as well do the wheel bearings and seals while I have the opportunity.

This job was pretty cumbersome without an extra set of hands. Press plates and the whole kit and kaboodle hit the deck multiple times while setting up. But with the right press plates and some other little items the pressing itself is relatively simple.

The only real hiccup I had was after removing the hubs, the bearings had loaded up into the snap ring. The last set I did it only took a few taps of the bearing with a dead blow and I was able to move them back enough to take pressure of the snap ring. This time was another story... I had to beat the bearings into submission. A brass punch and a BFH worked for me.

Pressing out hubs with a 35mm socket:

Pressing out bearings: I offset one of my ball joint tools in the hub to contact the inner and out races. This isn't the ideal way of doing it but it works.

Everything out:

I will use the descaling gun and wire wheel to clean up the knuckles before sandblasting and press all the new goodies in when that's all done.

Tomorrow's plan is to finish the press work on the rear axles then enjoy the weekend.
jfeltT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote