Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 04:05 PM

negusm will become famous soon enough

negusm will become famous soon enough
Part 2!

So, next I was going to deal with really the only other two areas under the car that would cause an evap leak. The charcoal cannister and its mess of hoses. The filler pipe and its connections.

Parts for the fuel fill tube and charcoal canister:
Code:
Filler Cap 		77300-53010 	1 	$21.45 <- Often the culprit.
Grommet, Screw 		90189-06212 	4	$4.12 <- You will break most of them.
Vapor Canister 		77740-35482 	1 	$297.57 <- All hoses were cracked and suspect.
Hose Sub-Assembly Fuel 	77404-35010 	1 	$24.31 <- Flimsy.  Buy a new one.
*Filler Pipe 		77201-35700 	1 	$183.06 <- Inspect and test vent tubes.
*Fuel Pocket Seal 	77391-14020 	1 	$2.01 <- Not needed.
*Ring 			77391-35010 	1 	$2.72 <- Not needed.
*Filler Pipe Shield 	77291-35060 	1 	$34.06 <- Not needed.
So let's do some totals.
Total for parts I spent: $569.30
Total for parts I'd recommend: $347.45

Again, I went overboard with the parts.

Toyota does sell a gas cap seal/grommet so you can try that route instead of a whole new cap as it's a little cheaper and you can always just replace the cap later.

The Vapor Cannister and its myriad of hoses, etc, is an absolute mess:

Once I had my old one out, I feel good about plunking down $300 to replace it. The contents rattled around inside unlike the new one. Every last hose had cracks in them and they would ALL need replacing. Also, I'd have to spend time troubleshooting the valves, etc. to make sure they worked and they looked beat. By the time I got a new canister, replaced the hoses, what would I save? $150? It's just not worth my time.

The filler tube was a different story.

It is mostly metal except for one piece near where the gas cap goes. I can't see it going bad, but maybe there could be some leakage where the green tube is pushed into the grey plastic (see picture). I would remove this unit from the car, inspect it for issues. Then remove that green tube, grease it with vacuum grease and reinsert. This is not super hard to change out if it winds up being the issue. Older 4runners I don't think have this or at least they have a few less tubes.

The other parts I bought that I didn't need was the fuel pocket and its two metal rings that hold it in place. Oh well. I thought it may need to seal something. The fuel pocket with new gas cap looks awesome though!

Part 3 coming up!