View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 02:54 PM

fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all

fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all fkheath is a name known to all
You are not an idiot or newb! You are asking intelligent questions.

First, understand that ANY lift, front and/or rear, will NOT increase the clearance below the rear differential. The only way to do that is bigger tires/wheels. But keep in mind that the higher you go, the more unstable your on road drive will be.

It depends on how much you want to spend, and how extreme you want to go in your off road adventures. I also live in Utah and every summer go to the "Jeep" trails in the San Juan mountains of western Colorado. I have a modest 2" to 3" front and 1" rear lift with stock size KO2 tires, plus the TRD front skid plate. I have never had any problem on those trails which are just as rugged as those around Moab. I did bang up the front skid plate, but nothing of import was damaged.

I did my lift with just the Rough Country leveling kit which is inexpensive. That amount of lift does not need UCAs or any other "expensive" changes.

"I am required by law to take it wheeling down there 2-3 times a year." Ha, ha. No law requires you to go off road.

The only trails in the San Juans that I will not go on is Black Bear and Poughkeepsie gap, both which the Jeep rental companies don't let you take their vehicles on. Black Bear has 18" steps and on Poughkeepsie you are "guaranteed to bend metal". Other wise, everything else is fair game for a modestly lifted 4Rnner: Imogene, California Gulch, Cinnamon and Engineer, and Corkscrew. BTW, my dad was born in Ophir (Colorado) and the Ophir pass is one of my favorites, although not the most challenging.

Have fun, Dave, and be safe.
fkheath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote