Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:33 PM

sugjavier will become famous soon enough

sugjavier will become famous soon enough
No start no crank

Well I had a nice Christmas till I was on my way home yesterday and my car wouldn't start.

I have a 2001 Limited with the "red security light" on the center console + the sticker on the window that says "this vehicle is equipped with Toyota Theft-Deterrent System"
Other than that - I have had an aftermarket viper remote start installed a few years ago.

As I was messing with it on a crazy winter afternoon, putting the positive/negative cables back on the battery triggered the alarm (horns + it locked me out of the car with the key in the seat). Good thing I had 2 master chipped keys created last winter for a similar non start/no crank issue that ended up resolving itself and hasn't been an issue again till yesterday. My brother ended up driving to where I was and gave me a master key so I can unlock my door and try to start it.

Anyways back to the issue.
  • So I put the key in, no green light around the key area (I can only get it to appear sometimes after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery).
  • If I leave it on ACC position - the clock turns on and shortly after the radio turns on (goes to the default tuner / static since the battery was disconnected)
  • If I put it to ON position - it cuts out everything
  • If I try to go on START position - no cranks, I don't even go to this step unless I can get the green light on around the key area first
  • If I try to use the key fob to unlock/lock the doors - it doesn't always work on the 1st try

Checks I've done so far:
  1. Voltage of the battery posts is at 12.4 V - its really cold here but that should be enough. Battery is a Northstar 24F AGM battery installed 2yrs ago.
  2. The only time I got it started and drove home yesterday was I unplugged both positive/negative terminals on the battery and tightened them back in. I tested voltage while it was running and it was 14.3 V (doesn't this mean the alternator is charging properly?)
  3. When I got home - I have a CTEK (56-353) 12v multicharger and I put my agm battery on it just in case for a few hours till it said full charge
  4. I replaced the key fob battery (CR2016) just in case
  5. I tightened the ground(s) by the battery

Now I tried to do the same thing I did yesterday and can't get it started at all. I will probably call AAA tomorrow morning and have them diagnose and tow it to the mechanic unless they figure it out.

It looks like my issue may be the factory alarm system or the aftermarket remote start - I have no clue on how to disable these though so I can test.

Any other ideas ????????

I didn't want to revive old threads but right now I am looking at the contact starter as that could be the issue. I will add that to the list to check when it gets to my mechanic. Buying the parts for those now and also this big 3 upgrade kit

Last edited by sugjavier; 12-27-2020 at 08:37 PM.
sugjavier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote