View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 07:50 PM

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough
5th Gen 4Runner vs GX470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLar25 View Post
Cracked exhaust manifolds happens to pretty much every 2UZ at some point in its life, not a huge deal to just live with the ticking, and an expensive fix unless you just weld the cracks to get by. The dash crack is pretty commonplace as well unfortunately, unless you find one whose previous owner got it replaced during the recall. Lower control arms is probably just the bushings actually needing replaced. That's a regular wear and tear item. Watch for seized brake calipers, common issue on these and 4th gen 4Runners. Leaking transfer case actuator seals is also another common issue on these and 4th gens. Make sure to cycle the 4x4/lock the center diff when test driving to make sure it goes in and out without problems, and then do it at least once a month every month so it stays in working order. Leaky/failed air suspension in the rear is pretty common at this age as well, but I assume you'll be lifting it so not really an issue, but could be a negotiation point.

I have a V8 03 4Runner Limited and an 04 GX. Pretty much the same car, but the interior is set up better in the 4Runner. The center console that you can rest your elbow on is, in my opinion, vastly superior to the arm rests in the GX if you're into driving with one hand. Cup holders are shit in the Lexus, but the cabin is a little quieter. Rear seats fold down nicer in the 4Runner as well. Small things like these here and there that I've noticed since picking up the GX. Neither have given me any issues yet other than a seized caliper on the 4Runner. I like the looks of a built GX a little more than a built 4th gen, but prefer the 4Runner interior. So I wouldn't rule out a Limited 4th gen with the V8 if you haven't thought about that.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Wow. Thanks to all for the insight and especially for the details, TLar25. I obsess and research to the point of nausea before making decisions or asking additional questions. You guy have provided additional information here, along with your opinions, that I haven’t heard or found. I can’t thank you guys enough.

I’ve looked at the 4th gen 4Runner but assumed the Lexus would be of higher interior quality which is why I was exploring that route. I have seen plenty of complaints about daily living in the GX with the awful cup holders, crap center counsel, and some of the other gripes.

My 2010 5th gen has aged extremely well and still feels up to date and relevant in design, minus of course the electronics and dash and other things that of course have improved over the course of 11 years.

Any opinions in off road capability? I obviously have ATRAC which is absolutely amazing for what it is.

I will be lifting the GX, thus deleting the air bags. I’ll also be fitting up 34s and the necessary supporting mods for this. Appreciate it again!

I guess I don’t want to feel like I’m downgrading in quality, features or reliability since I’ll use it to haul around the family as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 4Runner SR5

Last edited by Decipher; 12-28-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote