View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 09:37 PM

Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold

Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold Jeremy556 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrgirl View Post
I just took it to an independent repair shop - he confirmed it's the timing cover. Estimate - $2000. Oh yay! Now I just have to decide if/when to do this. He said it's one of the worst leaks he's seen. Also, need to decide whether to cancel diagnostic appointment at the dealer - cost will be $130 and I already know what the problem is.
Did they use die, or just do a visual inspection? Is it leaking enough to drip on the ground? There's a couple other possible sources in that area - valve cover gasket or VVTI high pressure hose, both of which are cheap and easy fixes.

Generally, if it is the timing cover, it is a minor weap more than a leak, as it is not under pressure or in an area that oil pools. Some have reported success by smearing RTV on the outside of the union of the timing cover, head, and block. I just did this to mine last week so the survey is still out on if it will fix it for me.

Doing the proper repair is a pretty big job; doing it the ghetto way just involves removing the 3 bolts for the power steering pump, degreasing the area, and smearing some RTV on.
Jeremy556 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote