View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 10:32 PM

tom4416 is on a distinguished road

tom4416 is on a distinguished road
What happened to the price of rear hatch lift struts?

My 03 has had a drooping rear hatch for almost a year now and was wary of the cheap struts that all seem to be too strong and create potential problems. But the last time I checked, the OEM struts were something north of $100 each. Well, today the hatch was drooping worse than usual (colder weather) and so started shopping and just for heck, checked OEM - $30.99 each! What the heck happened or is Toyota now selling the same made in China cheapies but rebranded as a Toyota part? I called the dealer and was assured they are still Toyota OEM but no clue as to why the big price drop unless they are getting ready to discontinue this particular one and clearing out inventory (there is a cold weather version of the strut) so I got them on order. Had more trouble ordering the lower ball bolt because the master parts catalog has it as part 68961-35050 and clearly shows it as a the ball bolt but when you put that part number in any of the dealer sites, it brings up a picture of just a regular bolt and even the parts guy couldn't quite figure it out so ordered it with the option to return it if not correct.

So, anyone else with early 4th gen, might want to jump on that price before it either goes back up or they disappear. Replaced the hood struts a year ago with aftermarket and they are working quite well but just too many bad reviews about the rear ones.
tom4416 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote