Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Runner-Wannabe is on a distinguished road

Runner-Wannabe is on a distinguished road
4th Gens in rust belt?

So I’ve been talking to general mechanics (non Toyota specific) in my area who are steering me away from the 4Runner. They are saying they have major corrosion issues up here. 9 out of 10 are shot. Look great on the topside but lots of issues with ANYTHING steel underneath from fuel lines to steel cooling system components, suspension, fuel tanks etc.

Coupled with what I’m reading about rotten frames, rockers, a arms and differentials, it makes me worry.

I know this is an enthusiast site so there will be some or possibly much bias.

Can I get the skinny on what to expect IF I can find a well oiled 4th gen?

Are there inherit issues ignored or overlooked by enthusiasts because their capability overrules the maintenance factor?

I’m looking for something that will go 400+K (Kms) with regular maintenance, yearly oiling and little or light winter use for the rest of its lifespan

Please give me the real world skinny on 4th gens in the heavy rust belts.

Last edited by Runner-Wannabe; 01-04-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Runner-Wannabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote