Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 12:56 AM

charleypartanna is on a distinguished road

charleypartanna is on a distinguished road
Rumble strip transmission problem: thoughts?

Hi folks!

I have 2008 4Runner Limited V6 with 145k miles. I'm the second owner. Both the prior owner and I are fastidious about maintenance, so all scheduled maintenance has been done.

Unfortunately, it seems like the vehicle has developed the "rumble strip" transmission issue discussed in other threads.

Here are the symptoms:
  • Most noticeable under light acceleration around 20MPH in 3rd (I think it's 3rd)
  • Also feel the shudder at higher speeds in 3rd (27MPH - 33MPH)
  • Issue does not occur if shifter is in "4" (only occurs in "D")

First significant issue I've had with the 4Runner, and I have to say, I'm bummed. Especially because we're supposed to leave tomorrow for a trip.

I've heard the following recommendations:

- Flush or drain/fill the ATF. I could do it again, but I've had this done at the dealer relatively recently when I bought the vehicle at 112k miles (33k miles ago) as preventative maintenance. Should I do it again?

- Lube or replace the driveline u-joints. I lube these fairly regularly. But I can't see how these would be the problem anyway if shifting into "4" solves the problem. To me, that suggests it is a problem with the transmission or torque converter.

- Change the spark plugs. I did this about 30k miles ago, so it's not due for another 20k.

- Add Lube Gard Instant Shudder Fixx. I'm a little hesitant to add this non-OEM additive, but it seems to work for some people. Doesn't seem like I have much to lose. Thinking this will be my first step. Or perhaps take it to a trusted mechanic to get their thoughts.

What do folks here recommend? I'm hoping that some conventional wisdom has emerged on how best to treat the issue.

Also, what do you think about driving with this issue on a 400 mile round trip trip to the mountains? We've pretty much decided we will take our other vehicle instead.

Thanks!

Charley