Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 03:16 PM

Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice

Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice
5-Speed Swap Wiring Diagram

Hey everyone,

I was helping another forum member wire their 5-speed swap, and as a result I created a wiring diagram for them showing how to modify an existing electrical harness, so I figured I would share. This wiring diagram shows each of the wires of the Park/Neutral Safety Switch (from the automatic transmission), and their corresponding locations when swapping in a manual transmission (to include the clutch depress switch, clutch start cancel switch, clutch release switch, and reverse light switch). There already exists a diagram similar to this, but this one includes the clutch start cancel switch, and is more complete by showing the corresponding connectors, pin locations, and a wire color key.

For anyone attempting this swap and modifying their existing wiring harness, all you need to do is cut all the wires just before the Park/Neutral Safety Switch, cap the 4 un-used wires, and lead the remaining wires to the various switches, all shown in the diagram below. This shows everything to have your 4Runner work as if it came from the factory with a 5-speed.

Note: the connectors and wire colors in this diagram are for a 1999 5VZ, other model years or engine codes may be different. If you are attempting this swap, you should refer to the appropriate Electrical Wiring Diagram for details specific to your vehicle.

----------

A few notes:
  • If you only want your 4Runner to start and run after your swap, all you need to do is jump wires 5 & 6 on the Park/Neutral Safety Switch. Just cut the wires before the switch and tie them together to complete the circuit. Cruise control, clutch start safety, and reverse lights can all be wired later.
  • This diagram has nothing to do with the ECU in your 4Runner. Whether you have an A/T ECU, or the M/T equivalent, you still have to either re-wire according to the diagram above or swap out your wiring harness. Your vehicle will operate the same regardless of whichever ECU you have (the only difference is the Check Engine Light an A/T ECU will throw for not receiving signals from the shift solenoids). If you want (or need) to get rid of your CEL, you must find the appropriate M/T ECU for your 4Runner. Model years 1998 through 2000 have a plug-and-play M/T equivalent ECU, and model years 2001 and 2002 have a plug-and-play M/T equivalent ECU only found in 2003 and 2004 Tacomas. For model years 1996 and 1997, there exists no plug-and-play ECU -- For these model years I suggest swapping the wiring harness (in which case this thread doesn't apply).
  • The transfer case operates completely independently of the transmission. This means no special wiring is necessary to get a multi-mode transfer case, j-shift transfer case, or other transfer case type to work after a 5-speed swap, as long as that transfer case is the one you had before the swap and you are not swapping wiring harnesses. (I had a multi-mode transfer case before my 5-speed swap, and I still have it after my swap -- it operates without issue)

Last edited by Team_Jake; 03-01-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Team_Jake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote