Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 08:11 PM

Runner-Wannabe is on a distinguished road

Runner-Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Questions for those who have owned both 3rd and 4th gens

I have a few questions for those who have owned both 3rd and 4th gens.

I’ve posted a few times, but as a recap, Im looking for a good, older 4R that I can use for several years. Right now, it will be an occasional vehicle, mostly spring/summer/fall but I’m thinking of a career change and it may have to be a DD.

Currently, I have enough spare nickels squirreled away for a 3rd gen or a lower option early 4th gen.
I haven’t made the move yet because I’m still socking away hoping to get a clean, later model 4th gen.

So for you real world experience folks, are the 4th gens THAT much more powerful? (6cyl vs 6cyl, I know the 8cyls are quite good)

Reliability between the two; 4th gen? (Age/rust issues aside) driveline, electrical, suspension etc. I want a 2000-2002 3rd or a 2005 up 4th

Corrosion issues, again age factor aside, is one more prone than the other?

The only thing about I can say I actually prefer about the 3rd gen is the classic look. (Actually the 2nd gen is the best looking to me but way too spartan)

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if I should keep saving for another 1-1.5 years until I can afford a late model 4th, or buy a solid 3rd and live with that. I was hoping to have one on the road for this summer.

Or just be patient and keep saving?

Last edited by Runner-Wannabe; 01-21-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Runner-Wannabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote